The Department of Karmik & Adhyatmik (Chos-Rig) Affairs has been created by the Government of Arunachal Pradesh in August 2009 under a Notification No.CA/CND-1/2009 Dated 24th August 2009 and subsequent notification No.GA-08/2010 Dated 21stJanuary 2010, under the leadership of Late Dorjee Khandu who was then the Chief Minister and Late Rev TG Rimpoche as its first Chairman, with a view to look after the socio-cultural affairs of West Kameng and Tawang Region. The objective for creation of this Department is for Protection, Promotion, Preservation, Conservation and Creation of awareness of the rich cultural heritage of these regions, which have become vulnerable to destruction for various reasons in modern era. The Department is also focusing on creation of pilgrimage amenities for promotion of spiritual cultural tourism.The government of Arunachal Pradesh has set-up the department on lines of ecclesiastical department in Sikkim, Department of Tirap & Changlang in Arunachal Pradesh.
The Aim And Objective Of The Creation Of The Department Are As Follows :-
- To maintain and look after and registration of Monasteries ,Gompas, Stupas, Archaeological sites.
- To provide aid and support to indigenous religious institutions, scholarship and fellowships.
- Renovation and reconstruction of old monasteries and other pilgrimage places.
- To preserve wildlife, ecology and environment within the monastery land, religious campuses etc.
- Promotion of religious studies including arts
- To establish and support study centers for the “Sowa Rigpa-traditional healing systems and “Tse-Traditional Astrology.
- To establish Monastery and Dharamsala for the local pilgrimage at Bodh Gaya,Sarnath, Lumbini etc.
- Support and supervision over the traditionally maintained ceremonies and festivals.
- To conduct research and publication, workshop and seminars related to local tradition, culture and bhoti language.